If you’ve been injured in an accident having a lawyer will most likely help you get more out of your insurance claim. Being hurt and trying to find a lawyer while you’re going through medical treatment is difficult. Here are some tips to help you find the right Anchorage personal injury attorney for you.
Ask Friends, Colleagues, and Neighbors
There are referral services, but most often the best indicator of an attorney is the good experience of someone you know.
Referrals and Reviews
If you don’t know anyone who has gone through a personal injury case, look for favorable online reviews. Schedule a consultation and be sure to meet face-to-face before agreeing to let someone represent you. You don’t have to take the first attorney you meet. Hold out for someone who gives you the level of attention and service you deserve.
Go Armed with Questions
Among the things you want to know are the following:
- How many personal injury cases have you successfully settled?
- How long have you been an Anchorage personal injury attorney?
- What is your education and background?
- Do you represent insurance companies in personal injury cases?
- Will you handle my case personally, or hand it off to legal assistants?
- Will my case be likely to go to trial? If so, do you have trial experience?
- What can I expect in terms of fees?
Watch For Red Flags
You probably don’t want to hire an attorney that mostly represents insurance companies. You want someone who is empathetic to you and your particular case.
Be cautious if the attorney asks for fees up front. A retainer agreement should be specific and tell you exactly what you will pay, and when. Most cases will be paid after the attorney settles your case. You want an Anchorage personal injury lawyer who is confident in winning for you.
Remember, you don’t have to take the first attorney you meet! If the lawyer doesn’t listen to you, isn’t respectful of your wishes, or is inattentive to your needs, move on and find an Anchorage personal injury attorney who is.