Anchorage AK Aviation Accident Attorney
Robert Stone Law Office LLC in Anchorage Alaska represents persons injured in aircraft accidents and surviving family members who have lost a spouse, parent or child in aircraft accidents. Aviation accidents can be very complex and unique requiring expertise in both the technical aspects of aviation and the relevant law. At our firm we help you through this devastating catastrophe to protect your basic rights under state, federal and even international law.
What Laws Protect Victims of Aircraft Accidents?
- The Federal Aviation Act and Regulations – set minimum safety standards for pilot conduct, flight operations and aircraft manufacture.
- The Federal Tort Claims Act – controls cases brought against the federal government for the negligence of air traffic controllers and others.
- The Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act – governs suits against foreign governments, including many foreign airlines and manufacturers.
- International treaties and associated agreements – govern the liability of airlines for international flights.
- State and Federal Products Liability Law – establishes the responsibility of manufacturers to build safe aircraft and components.
- State and federal law – for personal injury and wrongful death.
Other Protections under the Law:
In 1996, after the TWA crash that killed 230 people off Long Island NY, Congress passed the Aviation Disaster Family Assistance Act. After a crash, this law requires that everyone involved must treat families of victims with great care and respect. Here are the law’s main points:
- Family members should be given time to notify other relatives before the names of passengers are made public.
- Airlines must offer crisis counseling.
- Airlines must make hotel rooms and food available.
- Airlines must help family members retrieve dental records and x-rays to identify the victims.
- Airlines must provide transportation to and from the crash site.
- Airlines should consult family members about a memorial.